It’s 6th grade take 2!
My second child is about to begin 6th grade. He’s a vastly different learner than his older sister, so our plan looks quite different for his year.
He is my late bloomer – brilliant in math and abstract thinking, but a struggling learner in reading and spelling.
However, during his 5th grade year, he decided to bloom. And wow, nothing quite prepared me for the outcome.
After spending several years worrying about his education and my ability to teach him, it’s been humbling to watch his rapid progress this year.
He has become an avid reader, a deep thinker, and a motivated learner. While we’re still working to catch up in spelling, the amount of progress we’ve made in one year alone has been encouraging.
I’ve had fun planning curriculum for my mathy auditory learner.
Here is our plan divided by trimester, since we are now schooling year-round.
- Bible: Classical Academic Press Old Testament 2
- Vocabulary: Vocabulary Cartoons
- Handwriting: Zaner Bloser 3
- Latin: Latina Christiana
- Logic: Introduction to Logic from Master Books
- Literature: Readers in Residence
- Grammar: ABEKA Grammar C
As a group:
- History: The World’s Story 1 from Master Books
- Geography: Cultural Geography with Drawing Geography books and Passport to the World from Master Books
- Apologetics: Case for a Creator and If I Could Ask God Anything
- Writing and Composition: Essentials in Writing 6 and Writing and Rhetoric Fable
- Science: BJU Science 6
As a group:
- Science: God’s Design Chemistry
- Finances: Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?, Money Matters for Teens, and Financial Discipleship
- Government: Notgrass Uncle Sam and You
Several of the fall and spring items are done as part of our group school time (morning basket time). I’ll be doing a lot of reading aloud as my kids narrate, take notes, and create outlines.
It’s going to be a fun year!
Find more homeschool curriculum plans and inspiration here: